Reflexiones y andanzas de un periodista

La paradoja del periodismo –dice Ryszard Kapuściński– consiste en que la escritura nace del viaje y el viaje imposibilita la escritura, pues es demasiado precioso como para restarle siquiera un ápice de tiempo.

9 de junio de 2011

Poland, Nine Months Later


I had only spent a couple of days in Wroclaw when I wrote, back in September, that my first impression of my new –and then unpronounceable- city was undoubtedly positive. Despite the rainy autumn weather and my tiredness after a hectic move, I highlighted the colourful beauty of its main square, the Odra River with its hundred bridges and the tiny but always present gnomes. At first I marvelled and I felt adventurous at the idea of beginning a new facet of life in a Polish city nobody in my closest circle of friends seemed to have a clue about.

At the same time, though, I was cautious. As I mentioned then, I was more than aware that first impressions are often inaccurate, and I knew I had the better part of a year ahead of me to confirm my initial remarks or prove them wrong. Well, here I am, after nine months in Poland, with only a few days remaining before my confirmed date of departure, aiming to wrap up the whole experience with a mixture of words and sentimentality. Next to me, I have an untidy pile of papers, an empty box and a list of errands to be run: the summary of what is left of the most unique experience I have had in my life.

Even when I was still in Germany, I knew Poland would be different, special. The country was out of my comfort zone, its language seemed unintelligible, I was full of prejudices, and my references were scarce. It was, in short, a journey into the unknown. What I did not expect was Poland to be so special, so different, so enriching.

Before arriving, I was worried about the people I would meet: I ended up spending fantastic moments with new friends from all over the world. I was worried about not being able to communicate: I still can’t, but at least I try and it often works. I was worried about the academic level: it was not always the best, but what I learned outside the classroom, simply by living in such a different culture, has been more enriching than studying at any university. I was worried that being in Poland, supposedly an unimportant and secondary country, would lead me away from working as a journalist where all the action was taking place: nothing could have been more erroneous, as I can now reaffirm that a journalist is made of all those new worlds and new experiences he reveals to others.

But more importantly, Poland has made my world bigger. After being here for nearly a year, after managing to overcome all sorts of minor hurdles, after proving to myself that I can make my way in a place where I don’t even speak the language, I developed a need to continuously discover. Now, when I look at the map, the list of countries I want to visit is growing all the time and I have started to realise how stubborn and comfortable I was when I limited my migrating options to a handful of well-known places. In plain language, Poland has made me feel more adventurous than ever, and there are now fewer limits as to where I am willing to move next.  At the time of writing, that decision is still unresolved, but I promise you one fact: wherever I end up in the world, I will certainly write about it.

1 comentario:

  1. Well, it seems that the story had a happy ending. Those days of worries and doubts seem so far away now... it must be funny for you to remember them.
    COnratulation for another successful cycle and al the best for the new one to come!

    ResponderEliminar

Gracias por dejar un comentario en mi blog.